Mathulam Pazham Thayir Pachadi (Pomegranate Pearls Pachadi)
Mathulam Pazham Thayir Pachadi (Pomegranate Pearls Pachadi) – Pomegranate Pearls in whisked thick curds, flavoured with ginger and garlic, lightly spiced with green chillies, tempered with coconut oil, mustard seeds, split black gram, asafoetida, whole red chillies and curry leaves and fresh coconut paste.
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking Time: 05 minutes
- Serves: 4
Ingredients and Quantity:
- Fresh Pomegranate Pearls- ½ cup or more as desired
- Curds (Whisked) – 01 ½ cups
- Salt- to taste
- Mustard powder- 1/4th tsp.
- Green chillies- 02 nos.
- Sugar- to taste
- Refined Oil – as required for deep frying
For the Tempering:-
- Coconut oil – 1/2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds- 01 tsp.
- Split Black gram( Urad dal)- 02 tsp.
- Whole red chillies (Halved)- 02 nos.
- Curry leaves- 01 sprig
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Ginger- ½ inch piece
- Garlic (optional)- 02 cloves
- Fresh Coconut, paste- 1 ½ tbsp.
- For the Garnish:
- Fresh Cilantro, chopped- 04 sprigs
- Wash curry leaves. Remove and discard the stem of green chillies, wash and chop green chillies finely.
- Prepare coconut paste.
- Pick, wash, drain and pat dry the dals.
- Whisk the curds add mustard powder, salt, sugar, green chillies (chopped),
- Add the pomegranate pearls to the prepared curds.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, urad dal, whole red chillies, curry leaves and asafoetida, sauté over medium heat until the seeds crackle / splutter. Add ginger and garlic paste. Cook for some time and add coconut paste, cook for 02 to 03 minutes.
- Pour the tempering over the curds. Mix well.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature garnished with fresh cilantro.
- You may add Cumin seeds – ½ tsp. and Split Bengal gram (Chana dal) -01 tsp. in the tempering.